Saturday 30 November 2013


  • Hello all!
    Today was quite a short day in The Gambia. This morning was an early morning - we went to see an assembly at the school. Each class lines up in the 'playground' 1 line for boys an 1 for girls - upper school, lower school and nursery. They stand and sing songs and then go into class. The atmosphere and the noise is overwhelming !! African singing and dancing - with no instruments it's just amazing ! I love it !
    I then went into one of the nursery classes and did art and craft with them... We had elastic string and beads to make jewellery and some paper,glue, pencils to make pictures (I have kept loads of them). This was so much fun and the phrase for the morning was 'Toubab do for me' and 'Toubab give me'. (Toubab means 'white person')
    This afternoon I walked to the local craft market - it was fun. Met a couple locals, received some more compliments, got asked out to dinner a couple times and I brought a bag! Successful overall ! Hehe
    This afternoon we returned to school for a Christian programme. Again the singing and dancing of African children - amazing! A young boy (17) who aspires to be a pastor then preached for 20 minutes and he was so good ! His face just lit up the whole time - he has a calling from God and you could see it shining out of him the whole time !! A young girl from the school, 10 years old going on 30 ! She plaited a couple of our hair into braids - and it looks awesome! She did 4 different styles on us, considering how different our hair is from theirs it was phonomenal ! If the internet was better I would post a photo but unfortunately I can't do that!
    I decided today whilst sitting by the pool that I am coming back here again ! I have too ! And then after having my hair braided the girls and boys told me I am now a Gambian and so I must stay ! Haha! Think that proves it
    I am really tired (the sun really takes it out of you!! It's surprising !) and have got to be up super early tomorrow so I'll leave it there for tonight ! Will hopefully do a couple posts tomorrow !
    Night night xxx
  • Sarah Neuenhaus
    Sarah Neuenhaus
    That was yesterday's. Never got it to send !

No comments:

Post a Comment