Thursday 28 November 2013


Hey everyone !
Well today has been a long and emotional day !
The day started with breakfast again overlooking the sea - more pancakes! Amazing! I have discovered I don't like Gambian tea but the coffee is not bad!
We then headed to the nursery school in half dye. I loved this school last time and I loved it more today - beautiful little children ! And so many need sponsors - I am going to sponsor but I don't know how to 'pick' just one. So difficult !! We then went to the local compound that some of te children live in. And I had my first tear-fest ! The family lived in a swamp area an their house gets flooded every year - they sleep on a piece of foam as a mattress and there are 10 people in a bed !! Seriously - something has to change around here. You just cannot imagine it until you've seen it properly with your own eyes ! On te way back to the van a young girl handed me a tiny tiny baby ! Just handed him to me and walked off - so here I am with a new born baby in my arms - looking at a compound knowin the situation and all I can do is hold him so tight and sob !! Nothing has ever hit me the way that hit me ! The mother than came walking over and told me he was a gift for me - that I was to take him! Like ..... I am just speechless still even now !! His name was Omar the mother was not much older than me - and I promised that next time I come here I will find him ! So ... There it is people - I will be returning to The Gambia !!! You heard it here first
This afternoon we ate at the main school. People who attended my Gambian evening - I put it all go practise ! We ate benechin and we ate with our hands ! It was awesome !!!
Then a short walk along the beach during sunset and out for a lovely meal ! Now we're poolside in the sea air watching some African dancing
That's all I'm going to say for today because I just still am feeling so emotional !
Goodnight all !

No comments:

Post a Comment