Wednesday 27 November 2013


Hey everyone ! I've been having a few issues with wifi here (again it is Gambia !) so last night went to bed and slept really we'll. windows open (with mozzie nets over them) to get the sea breeze coming through, slept with a very thin sheet and slept really well Woke up this morning at 7am and got up to eat breakfast from a buffet over looking the sea. I really don't think life could get any better !! Pancakes and a glass of fresh fruit juice - whilst looking at a bright blue sky and peaceful sea ! Bliss !!
We then went to the first school - this is the place I wanted to see most as it is where we brought money to build an extra block of classrooms. It was amazing to finally see that building being used ! Awesome! The kids were as loving and amazing as I remembered ! Just wanting to touch your skin, nails, hair everything ! A group of young girls tried to plait my hair but quickly gave up because it feels so different to then they didn't know while to. So they just combed if for me
We then returned to the hotel for lunch (crackers and marmite for me) and a swim in the pool ! It was around 32degees today and bright blue skies all day ! Beautiful!
Then we went to the local village - which Is worse than I remember it ! Absolutely heart-wrenching ! I just can't put into words the way it affects you ! A village sitting on a literal dump. This time we were shown inside a couple 'houses' - this means 1 square room with (if they're lucky) a very thin rotting piece of foam as a mattress to sleep 6 people ! It just absolutely pulls at your heart strings !
And now I am sitting poolside with a coke watching a Gambian Michael Jackson dance and sing kareoke ! Looking up the sky is so clear - all the stars are out !! And a gentle breeze off the sea blowing against us !
Oh - if my friends are reading this (you know who you are) last night at the restaurant ' ba na an ba na na na na ' ' was playing all night ! Was a little reminder of you all !! Hehe
I will update again tomorrow !! At this moment in time - I don't want to come home ! Everyone here is friendly, the pace of life is so much more chilled - everyone smiles at you. Plus - I've been asked on 3 dates already haha !!
Night night all from The Gambia! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment